Linux is one of the popular version of UNIX operating System. It is open source as its source code is freely available. Linux was designed considering UNIX compatibility. It's functionality list is quite similar to that of UNIX.
- Portable– Portability means softwares can works on different types of hardwares in same way.Linux kernel and application programs supports their installation on any kind of hardware platform.
- Open Source– Linux source code is freely available and it is community based development project. Multiple teams works in collaboration to enhance the capability of Linux operating system and it is continuously evolving.
- Multi-User– Linux is a multiuser system means multiple users can access system resources like memory/ ram/ application programs at same time.
- Multiprogramming– Linux is a multiprogramming system means multiple applications can run at same time.
- Hierarchical File System– Linux provides a standard file structure in which system files/ user files are arranged.
- Shell– Linux provides a special interpreter program which can be used to execute commands of the operating system. It can be used to do various types of operations, call application programs etc.
- Security– Linux provides user security using authentication features like password protection/ controlled access to specific files/ encryption of data.Platforms:
c. IBM Power
d. System z
For installation System Requirements:
1. 1GHz P4 processor – preferably dual core or better
2. 1GB RAM – preferably 4GB – 8 GB or better
3. 3GB Storage for – minimum installation
4. 5GB storage for – full installation
Installation of linux or unix flavours
os installation on virtual machine
Reset forgotten root password
Reset Forgotten ROOT PASSWORD
Basic Shell Scripting
VI Text Editor.vi text editor
How to Open multiple files and switch between them in vi editor ?